At the north end of the Main Street Bridge, on the banks of the Umatilla River, sits the 1916 Carnegie Library, now home to the Pendleton Center for the Arts. Built through the perseverance of a group of local women who envisioned the building to function not only as a library, but also as a community gathering place, the Carnegie Library was a center of Pendleton community life for many years. The Pendleton Center for the Arts serves as a gathering place for visitors and community members by offering fine arts exhibits, performance, arts education, and affordable rental spaces for civic groups and private functions. Always admission free, eight to ten rotating exhibits are displayed each year in the golden bamboo-floored East Oregonian Gallery on the main floor. Exhibits feature artworks by local, regional, and international artists, area youth, seniors, and cultural groups.